• March 28, 2024, 06:36:12 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Freezing with Windows 7 on a DSM-520 mis-information  (Read 12113 times)

xman1

• Level 1 Member
Freezing with Windows 7 on a DSM-520 mis-information
« on: February 23, 2010, 06:46:51 PM »

I just wanted to set the record straight on Windows 7 and the DSM-520.  I've noticed comments relating to disabling every last thing related to uPnP and jumbo frames, and it is either partially incorrect or plain incorrect.  Even firmware has been mentioned.

Jumbo Frames existed in XP, so you know this is not the issue.

uPnP has been around forever, so you know this is not the issue.

Firmware - playing on 1.06 fine, so this is not the issue.

So you must look at what has changed between XP and Windows 7.  You will find a complete re-write of the networking stack and a bunch of new features.  After extensive testing (you can do this on your own by unplugging your Win 7 machine from your router and you DSM-520 and it will start working fine), the new networking features related to the Network Discovery service are the ones holding up the show.  You can read up about it taking down old routers on the net if you want, so this problem is not just related to the DSM-520.  MS creates drivers in a vacuum sometimes and only tests with their own stuff.   Uggh!

Anyway, to solve your problem of freezing (it typically waited about 2.5 minutes into a song for it to happen to me), go into control panel -> select Network and Sharing Center -> Click the change advanced sharing settings tab on the left -> and under Network Discovery, select turn off network discovery.  Click Save Changes on the bottom and your freezing problems as related to Win 7 will go away.

-X

PS.  I wish DLINK would make a new firmware to address this issue, but I can dream I guess.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 06:48:54 PM by xman1 »

usar59

• Level 1 Member
Re: Freezing with Windows 7 on a DSM-520 mis-information
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 06:39:33 PM »

Thank you for this post.

It seems that there is still something else on my Windows 7 machine that is disrupting the DSM-520. Once I turn off my Windows 7 laptop, the DSM-520 streams fine (my media pc is XP)

Bluemoon

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2010, 07:17:09 PM »

i tried the fix in windows 7 that you recommended, but its still freezing momentarily, any clues ? It also seems to lose communication with the remote & you have to switch off at the unit. This also causes the unit to go into setup mode.

Bluemoon

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2010, 07:58:18 PM »

just tried it with XP on my daughters PC starts off OK then starts freezing again, I think the 520 unit may be faulty, had it a few years any ideas where I can get fixed in the seattle area or further a  field ?