• April 19, 2024, 07:43:34 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DGL-4100 Not Showing Network Devices  (Read 9437 times)

defiance5050

• Level 1 Member
DGL-4100 Not Showing Network Devices
« on: July 11, 2009, 11:16:00 PM »

I am running Windows Vista 64-bit and had the computers hooked up to my modem with no problems. The could see each other, I could print from both computers (printer connected to first computer), move files around between them, but now that I hooked up the D-Link DGL-4100, I cannot see them. I cannot transfer files between them, print from the second computer anymore, or do anything between the two. Is there a way I can open the network between these two computers? I am very "dumb" when it comes to networking, so I know it is a setting somewhere that I have not turned on. Please help, I love this router because I get great performance in my games, but why did it lock out my network?

Reinvented

• Level 4 Member
Re: DGL-4100 Not Showing Network Devices
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 12:38:09 AM »

UPnP might not be enabled by default.  Should be under the Advanced Tab, and Advanced Network.

Talon

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 06:03:00 AM »

If you are running vista you have to allow file shareing on other comps b4 they will show on your network map.

defiance5050

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 02:57:03 AM »

I went to the device web page and checked to make sure it is enabled. It is ok. All of the file sharing options are enabled. It used to work before (and still does if I connect it) when both computers were connected the my DSL modem. Just will not work with the DGL-4100. Any other options I should check out?

Reinvented

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 06:30:35 AM »

What model is your DSL modem?  It sounds like it's a gateway as well, which could cause problems if it's serving up wireless or something.  This means there's some kind of double-NAT'ing going on.  If that's the case, then you will have problems communicating properly with all of the other devices and routing.

Also, what firmware version are you using?

defiance5050

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009, 06:42:14 AM »

My DGL-4100 router is using the 1.7 firmware. It says it is running the latest version when I tried to update it. My DSL modem is a COMTREND CT 5624. I have had some other people tell me they had some problems with D-Link gaming routers trying to connect their network also. I want something I can just plug in and not worry about having any issues like this. I have other friends who have cheaper routers that have no problems like the one I am experiencing. It has to be the router I have. I am probably just going to get rid of this router. Just sucks having $100 go down the drain if it cannot be fixed. If I cannot get it working, I am not going to buy another D-Link.

Reinvented

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2009, 09:59:20 AM »

Yeah...it's user error.  Your modem is also a Gateway.  You need to put your modem into bridge mode.  It definitely sounds like it's double NATing.  This can definitely cause networking problems.  Once that's done, set the router to hand out DHCP addresses (which it does by default).  This should alleviate the problem. 

defiance5050

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2009, 02:43:39 AM »

So how do I put it into Bridge mode, and set the settings the way they are supposed to be? Do all D-links come like this? This is crazy if these are standard settings.

Reinvented

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2009, 11:04:53 AM »

Connect your computer to the modem, and log into it.  It should be 192.168.1.1.  I'm not sure about the GUI, but look around for something like "Bridge Mode".  Once that's done, save it and reboot.  Then plug in the DGL-4100, and it should work properly.

SouthPawn

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2009, 05:39:49 PM »

Simple answer: Plug both computers in to the dgl-4100, plug the dgl-4100 in to the dsl modem.

suprra_girl

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2009, 06:40:32 PM »

Also Vista likes to turn on "password protected sharing" under network and sharing. Make sure that isn't checked. I found that vista occasionally liked to re-enable it on it's own choosing also.

defiance5050

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2009, 05:48:42 AM »

Connect your computer to the modem, and log into it.  It should be 192.168.1.1.  I'm not sure about the GUI, but look around for something like "Bridge Mode".  Once that's done, save it and reboot.  Then plug in the DGL-4100, and it should work properly.

Thank you so much! I could not log in to modem, so I called them up and they say they have to re-program the modem and it should fix the problem! Going to try taking it in this week. I appreciate all the help!