• April 18, 2024, 04:47:58 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: NetDefend Anti-Virus Service  (Read 1990 times)

vimfuego

• Level 1 Member
NetDefend Anti-Virus Service
« on: October 18, 2014, 03:13:28 PM »

Hi There,

Just wondering if anyone is using this service instead of AV software installed on each PC?
I only have a small group of PC's (5 in total) that currently run Eset, but the thing is the subscription cost for Eset over 5 PC's is far less than that of the Dlink service which per year is $279. Whereas Eset for THREE years on 5 PC's is just $250. Also, Kaspersky per year for 5 PC's is $129, so am I missing something here with using the NetDefend service?

Thanks.
I have a DFL-260E, FW 2.60.02.02-24265.

Rara Avis

• Imperator
  • Level 2 Member
Re: NetDefend Anti-Virus Service
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 10:27:21 AM »

vimfuego,

Like ogres and onions, security has layers.  Gateway AV supplements, but does not replace desktop AV.

Desktop AV with the most common AV paradigm tends to be reactionary, it can't prevent you from downloading that infected executable, it just looks for it and removes it at a later time.

Gateway AV tends to be more precautionary, it can prevent that download from reaching your PC in the first place.  But it can't do anything about a virus spread by thumb drive, which is the most common vector nowadays by my reckoning.

If I had 5 PCs and a small budget, I would focus more on policies that help limit issues, and pour more money into backups than AV.  But I have a very scorched earth approach to questionable PCs, I have been accused of enjoying regular reformats.
Nullum magnum ingenium sine mixtura dementiae fuit. - Seneca
There has never been a great genius without a element of madness.