The Graveyard - Products No Longer Supported > DIR-655

Slow WAN downloads - link operating at 10Mbps? - Traffic Shaping

(1/3) > >>

richardnau:
Hi, everyone,

When my PC is directly connected to my cable modem (Motorola SB5100), I can download at between 19 and 20Mbps (Telstra Cable Extreme in Australia).

When I insert the DIR-655, I can't get past 8.7Mbps, irrespective of the setting of the WAN port speed in the GUI.

When I set for 10Mbps, I get downloads of 8.7Mbps.

When I set for 100Mbps, I get downloads of 8.7Mbps.

When I set for 1000Mbps, I can't connect to the cable modem (not surprising - the cable modem only supports 10Mbps or 100Mbps).

When I set for AUTO, I get downloads of 8.7Mbps.

I SUSPECT that the DIR-655 is negotiating to talk to the cable modem at only 10Mbps, even when set for 100Mbps. But I can't confirm this as the cable modem has no way to determine what speed the link is operating at (no LEDs and nothing in its GUI), and the DIR-655 similarly gives me no information (no link speed LEDs, nothing I can find in the GUI).

Questions:

1) Has anybody else experienced a similar problem? How did you fix it?

2) Does anybody know how I can confirm that the ethernet link between the router and cable modem is operating at 100Mbps?

3) Can anyone think of a reason why the router might otherwise be throttling traffic?

(All wired LAN ports operating at 1Gbps, confirmed by the PCs. SPI enabled. QoS disabled. Apart from apparent speed throttling, router operating perfectly.)

Fatman:
If you lock down an interface on any Ethernet device down to a particular speed then it will not, for any reason, operate at other than that speed.  This is why locking down your DIR-655 to 1000 Mbps does not result in 100 Mbps traffic.

richardnau:
Fatman,

Thanks!

So, why would my throughput with router in circuit be so low? I know that this router has plenty of horsepower and can easily manage 20Mbps WAN-LAN speed... Suggestions appreciated.

jupiter:
If richardnau is running a on a cable modem, the MTU should be 1500

My DIR-655 at my home is connected to a DCM-202 with COX internet.

My connection is rated at 15,000KB/s
I get somewhere around 14,500 from http://speakeasy.net/speedtest using the los angeles server.  if i connect to the New York server.  my connection drops to 7,000 KB/s

richardnau  what are you using to measure your WAN speed?

richardnau:
I use the this speed test: http://www.speedtest.net/

If I connect PC directly to cable modem and use Sydney server, I get 19 - 20Mbps.

If I connect via router (everything else unchanged) I get 8.7Mbps.

R.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version