• April 19, 2024, 03:58:41 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Very Strange  (Read 6609 times)

rampage2

Very Strange
« on: June 16, 2008, 03:16:45 PM »

Hi there
I have a 510 (fw 1.8)and lot of problems with it..., first of all my specs:
Winxp pro , Router Netgear DG834G and Nero Mediahome as a media server
Sometimes it's working, I mean everything's OK, Nero is seeing the shared folders, but after a couple of days that I'm not turning my 510on, Nero can't see anymore 510 and viceversa. The strange thing is that I can actually see the 510 as a device on my router, ping response is perfect, 510 tells is connected (trough wired lan) but no way to see nero server (and viceversa). I did nothing on my pc , so I can't understand why a day it's working and the day after nomore
Is anybody that can help me out?
I tried to use tversity but no way
Thanks
Ramp

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
Re: Very Strange
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 11:45:45 AM »

Please try using Windows Media Player 11 as well.

If you are running anti-virus software you may need to look into the software blocking ports that is causing this issue. When you get strange behavior like this there is almost always anti-virus software on the PC or the firewall.
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

rampage2

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 04:20:49 PM »

Hi, thanks for your kind reponse
I'm sure it's not the antivirus or the firewall . I shut down the avg antivirus and the Netgear router firewall as well without success
It seems that it's something with the DHCP in the router setup (I normally have it on), but I can't understand why
Yesterday, after many tries I turned it off and suddenly Nero saw DSM and viceversa
Very strange
Any ideas?
Thanks again
Ramp

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2008, 10:51:05 AM »

DHCP should always be on in your router that should not be an issue. All communication should be consistent though your network. If the devices are on the proper IP address though DHCP (if you are not using static) the only thing that would be interfering would be anti-virus or firewall  software on the PC.  Anti-virus software rarely works properly when disabled some services are usually still running which may cause some port blocking. The best option in this case is to enable the anti-virus software and properly configure it for whichever media server program you choose you run or remove it from the PC. Windows media player 11 seems to work best with PC's using anti-virus software. 

rampage2

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2008, 04:23:10 AM »

No way, very strange, after seeing it for a couple of weeks without a problem, yesterday all my divx were played not fluently, like it was missing bandwith (it's a wired connection, so it can't be). After changing the ip N° (from 192.***.***.5 to 192.***.***.3 so not a big change) DSM510 now can't see anymore Nero sharing folders, no way , i tried everything, no way to make it working (I  disabled firewall, anti-virus ecc)
Can you help?
Ramp

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2008, 09:30:58 AM »

Did you try WMP11 as well?

rampage2

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2008, 01:37:10 AM »

Yes, never worked, only nero and tversity, but now both are not working
, help please
Thanks
Ramp

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2008, 08:08:56 AM »

Yeah it seems your AVG software or firewall is blocking your PC programs from devices on your network is the only thing I see what would cause these symptoms.

rampage2

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2008, 04:47:29 AM »

So strange, I even tried to uninstall AVG and to bypass the router firewall (it has an option to do this) , but no way. I'm sincerely desperate
Is there someone who has the Netgear Router DG834G that can give me his settings?
Thanks
Ramp

jetalis

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2009, 12:19:49 PM »

Have you tried setting "Static" addresses for your 510 and your server machine?
A couple of ideas:

First, have you tried turning both off, then on, and waiting like 10 minutes? Sometimes mine doesn't find the server for a little while (or longer) after one or the other sleeps.

Other Ideas: (network stuff)
I'm not sure if this applies but I was having problems every few hours with mine until I told the router "give automatic addresses to all machines except DSM510 and (the machine with the MediaServer)"

Like I said I'm not certain, because my Media Server is a DNS323 and not PC Software, but the Media Server and the Player may be just losing touch when the Router's auto-addressing (DHCP) changes any network settings (maybe even on a completely other machine).

If your router gives addresses "192.168.x.2" through "192.168.x.254" automatically through DHCP, I would suggest leaving that set, but telling the router to give your DSM510 a static address of 192.168.x.200 (or some other high number not likely to be used by DHCP but within the range) then tell the router to do similar (x.x.x.201) for the Media Server (your PC). The option should be found under something like "Static DHCP" or "Address Reservation" in the LAN section of your router's settings.