• April 23, 2024, 09:26:26 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Forcibly delete "stuck" files/folders?  (Read 6397 times)

pzy

• Level 1 Member
Forcibly delete "stuck" files/folders?
« on: April 08, 2009, 12:30:23 PM »

I recently changed around accounts and shares and things on my DNS-343, and it's giving me some problems trying to delete files/folders, as well as some folders not allowing me to copy anything into it.

I gave my account R/W access to VOLUME_1 and tried to delete them, and I get a permission denied error on my Mac, a Windows XP PC, and via FTP. I also tried login in with the admin account, with the same problem.

Is there a way to forcibly delete stubborn files like that? Or something I am doing wrong?

Thanks!

D-Link Multimedia

• Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
Re: Forcibly delete "stuck" files/folders?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 02:38:17 PM »

Have you tried resetting the unit to default in order to wipe out the settings and start over? Does this allow you to modify the files?

hilaireg

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 08:06:08 PM »

From your description, sounds like the files are *locked*; try the following:

1. Restart the NAS
2. Restart the workstation
3. Use the workstation you restarted to try and delete the files

Been bouncing up against this more often with the 343 than the 323.

HTH,

pzy

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 10:19:44 AM »

Have you tried resetting the unit to default in order to wipe out the settings and start over? Does this allow you to modify the files?

I just tried this. Still no luck.

Don't tell me my only hope is to reformat the RAID...

Edit: As a somewhat last resort, I tried the fun_plug thing (I put fun_plug and fun_plug.tgz in the VOLUME_1 root), but it doesn't seem to work. Did D-Link disable it in the 343? Telnet/ssh access would be infinitely useful, as I could fix this problem in 30 seconds.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 10:22:22 AM by pzy »

pzy

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2009, 08:16:49 PM »

I am still getting permissions errors even after completely reformatting and starting over.

I am finally fed up and ditching this piece of garbage - I bought a QNAP TS-509 Pro with 5x1.5 TB drives. I think it'll be better.

kjsalchow

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009, 07:01:35 PM »

i had a similar problem--actually, oddly, after I upgraded to snow leopard.  for some reason, the UID of my account changed and no longer matched the UID of the DNS-343.

The solution, although probably not sanctioned, is to use ffp to telnet to the device and simply manually reassign the UID of the files to your new user account and give yourself full permissions.

This issue cause me significant heartache and pain--but a little file system knowledge, with file system access made it all better.

mediajunky500

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2009, 03:13:35 PM »

With the default settings, I have been sucessful in deleting the stuck files.  But the only way I know to do it is by bouncing both the NAS and the workstation I am at at the same time, then deleting the files.  We should not have to do this, can we fix permission issues with the next firmware build?

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2009, 11:14:47 AM »

Any information regarding the locked files would be very helpful. Any details like if the files were created from a Mac and the OS version on the network or a specific program saving directly to the NAS like a Word or a backup utility and  if Map archive or Oplocks are enabled on the share.
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

redant2u

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2009, 05:10:55 AM »

I had a similar problem last week with files that did not want to be deleted and after i ran a scan disk on the DNS343 and restarted it plus restarting my computer i was able to delete them, don't know if it will work for you but give it try....

dnsowner

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2009, 11:58:49 AM »

fun_plug works fine with fw 1.03
you can use chmod 777 <filename>