• April 18, 2024, 12:27:36 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16

Author Topic: New firmware (1.10) release date for the DNS-323?  (Read 237446 times)

MrBOFH

• Level 1 Member
Re: New firmware (1.10) release date for the DNS-323?
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2010, 05:46:08 AM »

I've had my 323 for about a month now and it does what it advertised and what I want it to do. With one exception. uPNP support does not work with Windows 7. I would like that issue to be resolved by D-Link as the box and specs advertised uPNP support. Granted, Windows 7 apparently sends requests in v1.0 format and the 323 expects them in v1.1 format. It should not be rocket science for the 323 to be made backwards compatible to support that and fix the issue.

As far as a public API goes. That would make the 323 quite popular and quite possibly extend it's lifespan due to the availabilty of 3rd party programs to enhance functionality.

But it's all up to D-Link. Yes the unit is still listed on their website and being sold but are they still producing it or are they using up stock? If the latter, I doubt much firmware upgrades will come out.

mihies

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2010, 10:34:55 AM »

The only thing I want fixed is fan standby. You know, when you have standby enabled the fan starts to spinning like mad and won't shut down. This is unacceptable when you have NAS located in the same room. It is really that hard to provide this hotfix?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 10:57:51 AM by mihies »

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2010, 11:19:15 AM »

My fan works fine with 1.08, did you try a full factory reset and manual reconfiguration?
Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Remember: Data you don't have two copies of is data you don't care about!
PS: RAID of any level is NOT a second copy.

mihies

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2010, 02:42:34 AM »

My fan works fine with 1.08, did you try a full factory reset and manual reconfiguration?

I am referring to a known problem which happens only on C1 hardware and which DLINK plans to solve in 1.10 (somewhere is a thread about it).
So I am not talking about fancy new features but rather about solving current annoyances/bugs which looks like DLINK isn't capable of.
So, DLINK, please make sure you fix the problems first and then add whetever you are going to add.

http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=11417.60
http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=13409.0

JohnnyDemonic

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2010, 04:50:11 AM »

I'm using 1.9, my fan runs constantly, but I do not notice it at all.  Very quiet.  It even sits within 4 feet of my ears.  You must have some super sensitives there.

mihies

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2010, 08:40:40 AM »

I'm using 1.9, my fan runs constantly, but I do not notice it at all.  Very quiet.  It even sits within 4 feet of my ears.  You must have some super sensitives there.

Or perhaps it is time to visit your otolaryngologist  ???
But seriously, the sound is loud enough to be annoying.

berserk

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2010, 03:33:14 PM »

Also if Dlink can upgrade Kernel to 2.6.34+, we can have 4k drive (like WD with it's advanced format drive) support !

Western Digital has been working with the Linux kernel development teams and with the vendors of the some of the more popular Linux distributions. Starting with Linux Kernel Version 2.6.34, the latest stable kernel release, the default installations will align  partitions to the most appropriate boundaries on Advanced Format disk drives. For example, the following distributions will default to good alignment for Advanced Format disk drives: Ubuntu 10.04, Fedora 13, Redhat 6 and derived products. It is also expected that by release time Debian 6 (Squeeze) and openSUSE 11.3 will have completed the changes required for the default installation to be well aligned.

Source :http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=5655&p_created=1278970702&p_sid=M*5qhwak&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_srch=1&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9OSw5JnBfcHJvZHM9JnBfY2F0cz0mcF9wdj0mcF9jdj0mcF9wYWdlPTEmcF9zZWFyY2hfdGV4dD13ZCBhbGlnbg!!&p_li=&p_topview=1

Any news from Dlink for one of this possibility ?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 03:36:26 PM by berserk »

chriso

« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2010, 09:25:25 PM »

Or perhaps it is time to visit your otolaryngologist  ???
But seriously, the sound is loud enough to be annoying.

I agree the sound of the fan can be a bit annoying, but given it is  NAS not your computer just locate it out of earshot.  That is what I do.

mihies

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2010, 11:33:37 PM »

I agree the sound of the fan can be a bit annoying, but given it is  NAS not your computer just locate it out of earshot.  That is what I do.

If only I could...

vishnumrao

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2010, 07:43:35 PM »

This argument is flawed.  If you can still buy it and it is advertised by D-link on their own websites, then it should be supported, plain and simple. 

Perfectly said! If the product is being advertised as a highly rated award winning  product etc, it should be supported with regular bug fixes and popular feature requests.

Secondly, has Dlink support replied to any of the queries being posted here? Most of the answering is being done by a few people. I was at the Synology forum and saw so many posts by the Synology support engineers. Is it too much to ask for support from Dlink?

Synology does provide regulare updates to their NAS OS (or rather firmware). DSM 3.0 was released yesterday. It a big leap in functionality and usability of the GUI. Why not good regular updates from Dlink?

jamieburchell

• Level 6 Member
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2010, 09:54:55 AM »

I'm guessing money plays a big part as to whether D-Link employees can spend time on the forums. You probably pay for the privilege with a Synology costing 3x what this does. Technically D-Link technical support and the forums are two different things.
If your little 323 is not working right,
You've racked your brains and been up all night
Take a deep breath and wipe away the sweat,
Login as web admin and try a factory reset!

vishnumrao

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2010, 10:35:35 AM »

@jamieburchell: Here is some material from my post at the other forum.

I have a friend's Synology 210j here with me. It blows the DNS 323 in matters of performance, features etc.  The cost is not exactly 2x(or 3x) of the 323. more like 1.5x for the NAS box. Look at the total cost of buying though:

DNS 323 + 2x2TB drives: 164.99$ (Amazon.com) + 2x100 = 364.99$

Synology 210j + 2x2TB drives: 199$ (Amazon.com) + 2x100 = 399$

http://www.amazon.com/D-Link-DNS-323-Ne … B000GK8LVE

http://www.amazon.com/Synology-DiskStat … amp;sr=8-1

http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?nam … e&c=CJ

In percentage terms the synology is only (100x(399.99 - 364.99))/364.99  = 9.58%. Just about 10% more expensive, but much much better performance and features. I tried the DSM 3.0 release. Very polished and reliable and good support for external hard drives. Has a GUI that lets the user initiate rsync backups to the USB hard drive, Amazon S3 or to another rsync capable NAS etc.

I like the hardware on the DNS 323. The metal casing on the 323 and the look and the tool less design to access the drive etc are master strokes in the hardware design. Low end internals means less cost and less performance etc. Thats ok with me. But my gripes are all on the software side. 9 firmware updates in 5 years? Seriously Dlink, is that all your software department is capable of? Hardware is only one side of the product. Software completes the product. It brings out the goodies that the hardware is capable of!!! Enough of my rant. Can't help it. I am seriously disappointed with the DNS 323's software support and features.

Just to answer your statement about tech support vs forums: Forums are a easier and less expensive support tool compared to dedicated phone line tech support. On the forums one is leveraging the expertise of the knowledgeable community support and also the answers provided to previous questions. When one googles "DNS 323 usb hard drive" or some query the first link is to some post in this forum or the other forum. For most people that suffices and that means less calls to tech support. Every company maintains forums and provides tech support on the forums. This is the first company forum I have come across where tech support posts are minimal!!
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 11:46:55 AM by vishnumrao »

jamieburchell

• Level 6 Member
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2010, 01:27:53 PM »

Yes, the Synology is better.
The DNS-323 is still good and does what I bought it for. I was referring to the prices and thoughts on a similar thread:

http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=14909.msg87298#msg87298
If your little 323 is not working right,
You've racked your brains and been up all night
Take a deep breath and wipe away the sweat,
Login as web admin and try a factory reset!

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2010, 01:50:11 PM »

Well, the analysis in that other thread is flawed, it does appear that CPU is a limiting factor.  This is my DNS-323 on a gigabit connection transferring a 600MB file from the NAS to my computer.  Not much idle time left, like 0%.

Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Remember: Data you don't have two copies of is data you don't care about!
PS: RAID of any level is NOT a second copy.

dosborne

• Level 5 Member
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2010, 06:09:55 PM »

That matches with my experience too.
3 x DNS-323 with 2 x 2TB WD Drives each for a total of 12 TB Storage and Backup. Running DLink Firmware v1.08 and Fonz Fun Plug (FFP) v0.5 for improved software support.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16