• April 26, 2024, 12:44:56 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Streaming MKV files to the PS3  (Read 5267 times)

bluetoon

• Level 1 Member
Streaming MKV files to the PS3
« on: December 28, 2010, 05:40:57 PM »

So I've read all kinds of threads of people saying that there is finally MKV support but after upgrading the firmware of my DNS 323 and my PS3 as well I still can't get it to play the videos. I get "unsupported data" or file format or something along those lines. Other video works perfectly fine from the device and both the PS3 and DNS are hooked up to my router via wired connections.

So does it just not work on the PS3? Should I be using a different media server on the 323? I want to know whether it will work so I can finally stop converting all my blu ray rips.

EDIT: I just tried renaming the MKV file to MP4 because I read that it had worked in similar applications of reading MKVs but it didn't work, I just got a corrupted data error.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 01:59:02 PM by bluetoon »

axa

• Level 1 Member
Re: Streaming MKV files to the PS3
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 02:07:36 PM »

I can't speak for the PS3, but I do a similar thing with streaming .mkv to my XBOX 360 and Samsung player

Try renaming the file to .avi
Refresh the 323 after renaming and try again

bluetoon

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 09:20:48 PM »

Didn't work on my PS3 or my X360.

thehowler

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2010, 04:15:22 AM »

Not possible due to lack of MKV support on the PS3.

However, you can still house your MKVs on DNS-323, then use the free PS3 Media Server http://ps3mediaserver.blogspot.com/ application....

Downside is that you have to have your PC switched on to perform the on-the-fly transcoding; the DNS-323 is relegated to storage and file serving only.

This is how I stream my MKVs to the PS3.

bluetoon

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2011, 05:03:13 PM »

Ive used ps3 media server on and off over the years. Now that i have a network switch its moved a lot more smoothly so i guess thats my answer. Thanks for setting the record straight ill keep using the media server.

Not possible due to lack of MKV support on the PS3.

However, you can still house your MKVs on DNS-323, then use the free PS3 Media Server http://ps3mediaserver.blogspot.com/ application....

Downside is that you have to have your PC switched on to perform the on-the-fly transcoding; the DNS-323 is relegated to storage and file serving only.

This is how I stream my MKVs to the PS3.