Eagle Pro AI > R15

A little disappointed?

(1/6) > >>

peharri:
So I've had the router(s) (I bought two, the second to use as an extender) operational for a week now and I love the feature set, and I've used D-Link routers before, and they were rock solid and supported everything I needed. So... I'm concerned.

First, the Wi-Fi seems... fragile to put it mildly. It stops working a lot. Trying to change the settings frequently results in something half of my devices won't connect to (doesn't matter what the settings are, ie I can put it in "Smart Connect" mode and everything will stop being able to connect, change the settings to something more micromanaged, and now nothing connects, and tweak the settings with something that shouldn't matter, and some things are able to connect, and then put it back into Smart Connect mode, and now everything connects. (For example, to give the last four configuration changes I made.)

When the Wi-Fi works, it frequently blacks out. The router is broadcasting SSIDs and it's broadcasting enough for my computers to think they're connected, but I can't ping anything - not the router, not the local network, not anything beyond the local network. Reconnecting fixes everything.

The connection issues affect everything. I have my Ubuntu laptop, a Chromebook, two Windows laptops, a Roku, and two Android phones, and they all have the same issues. None of these devices have had similar issues with the AP the R15 replaces.

Secondly: I've had to do a full (paperclip!) reset of the router once now because after turning on the Wi-Fi (after turning it off and using a different AP which had its own problems... or were they...) the router just went into a loop, constantly rebooting, staying up for about 30 seconds, and then rebooting again. This was the second time it went into the loop, but the first time it did it it at least stopped after about 30 minutes and became stable again. It's possible this is related to configuring the router before the two forced firmware updates, but I won't know unless/until it crashes again. It hasn't crashed (cross fingers) since the second time I configured it.

Thirdly: my home network already has a DHCP server. But the router won't save the setting to turn off its own  DHCP server. When I turn it off, it suspends the server, only to turn it back on if the router reboots for any reason - say, because the power got cut, or it crashed.) The router evidently saves some of the DHCP configuration: I changed the range to prevent it from giving out IPs already allocated to my VMs (I'm a software developer) and it saved that, but it didn't save the fact the server wasn't supposed to be on in the first place. So the router is a liability and can crash my network if I'm not supervising it when it comes up after any power outage (I saw it has a setting to let it reboot every night and laughed! No way!)

On another note, if I tell it I want to manage updates manually, is it too much to expect that setting be honored? Once this is in a stable state I don't want it updating without my permission. No, logging into the router is not consent to update!

I'm hoping these are all known issues and they're going to be fixed in the next firmware update, and indeed they're fixable in firmware. The DHCP thing seems like it would be. The crashes I'd hope will be. The Wi-Fi issues I'm concerned about, and worried they point at significantly deeper issues in the hardware itself.

davevt31:
We have been saying for a while that this router is not ready for prime time.  Mine will forget the wifi password every once and a while.  Also when I do a reboot from the interface, it sometimes does not fully reboot and I have to power cycle it.

GreenBay42:
Firmware 1.04 is coming out by end of the year so hopefully it will have fixed some issues. Thanks for the feedback. I will make sure the router group sees it.

peharri:
Thanks! Do we have any central place where we can find out what bugs D-Link is aware of and has plans to fix? A Bugzilla, Jira, or something like that?

peharri:

--- Quote from: davevt31 on December 15, 2021, 01:20:36 PM ---We have been saying for a while that this router is not ready for prime time.

--- End quote ---
That's how I feel. I'm wondering if ax/Wi-Fi 6 equipment is just too new as other vendors seem to be having bad reviews from my searches.

That said, if they can fix the DHCP server issue I can always use a cheap AP (my old D-Link I used before maybe if I can find it!) for the Wifi until they fix it.

I know most people would return their stuff by now. I'm inclined to wait because of previous good experiences with D-Link. But I'd recommend anyone considering buying this hold off unless their network requirements are ridiculously simple, and they're happy to use another AP for the Wi-Fi.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version