• March 19, 2024, 04:50:49 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Unable to connect to Internet  (Read 20543 times)

alanrichey

• Level 1 Member
Unable to connect to Internet
« on: February 06, 2010, 08:50:59 AM »

Hi everyone, hope someone can help

Background:   

2 weeks ago:  Running a Netgear 'G' ADSL/Router, with an SSID of 'Corby Road' WEP encryption and with 4 laptops running on the Wireless Network, 2 with 'G' and 2 with 'N'.  Everything working fine.

1 week ago:  Disabled the WiFi on one of the 'G' machines and plugged in the DWA-142.  Everything still works fine.

Today:   Upgraded to a NetGear 'N' router.   Both 'N' laptops and the remaining 'G' laptop work perfectly.  On the other laptop, if the DWA-142 is unplugged and the 'G' WiFi enabled it works perfectly.   But if I disable the 'G' WiFi and plug the DWA-12 in then it doesn't work.

So I am 100% certain the problem lies with the interaction between the DWA-12 and the NetGear 'N' router.

Symptom:   In Windows Vista Network and Sharing page the Wireless Network is seen with the correct SSID and connects perfectly, including a WEP key.   It shows 'Identifying', but then connects as 'Unidentified Network' rather than 'Corby Road', and therefore does not allow access to the Internet.

Using the D-Link Wireless Manager everything looks absolutely perfect. 

The SSID is recognised, and it shows connected although as I recall, the 169.254.228.20 is the default WAN address that Windows uses if it is not connected to the Internet,

But in the Windows Vista screen I get this:

Whereas all the other laptops (and the one I am testing if the built-in 'G' is enabled and the DWA-12 is unplugged) show this:

Tapping on the cross between 'Unidentified Network' and 'Internet' simply gets Vista to report that I should either plug in an Ethernet cable or read about 'Low Signal Strength'.   Not much help :-)

Has anyone any ideas, I've run out ?

kevinla

• Level 3 Member
Re: Unable to connect to Internet
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 01:55:58 PM »

I don't know if you considered this, but if price is not an issue get the more recent Dlink USB adapter.  The DWA-140.

alanrichey

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 02:39:31 AM »

I got the DWA-142 from the Argos clearance centre for £7 :-)   Probably serves me right for being a cheapskate.

kevinla

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 01:28:31 PM »

I got the DWA-142 from the Argos clearance centre for £7 :-)   Probably serves me right for being a cheapskate.

Maybe don't use the D-Link software.

Did you dowload the latest drivers from D-Link?

http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=DWA-142

Click on "support resources".

I think there are thrid party programs that can be used.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 01:31:26 PM by kevinla »

alanrichey

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2010, 12:49:58 AM »

Yes, latest drivers and latest software