• March 28, 2024, 01:01:03 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DAT Files - Proprietary Format?  (Read 23561 times)

crashedapp

• Level 1 Member
DAT Files - Proprietary Format?
« on: March 02, 2011, 09:29:13 AM »

How can I convert the DAT files that are created D-View Cam so they can be played by standard media players (Windows Media Player) or (VLC). Is there an option some where?

I renamed a few to .mpeg and they play fine in Windows Media Player, while others cause Windows Media Player to hang.

Mackerel

• Level 3 Member
Re: DAT Files - Proprietary Format?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 11:11:35 PM »

The DViewCam Playback tool allows you to save the footage as avi or asf (preferred format), by setting cue-in and cue-out point, then clicking the video-icon on the right (the one that looks like a floppy+camera). It then prompts you for a name, a format and a profile, and off you go.

The .dat files themselves are fully proprietary and cannot be viewed by external players, other than the D-Link DViewCam Playback tool.

crashedapp

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 09:48:32 AM »

Thanks for your input. I'll look elsewhere for a Video Storage solution. In this day and age I don't think anyone wants their data locked into a proprietary format where only one vendor's tools can access it.

Mackerel

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 11:03:48 PM »

You are right in some sense, but the moment you make Backups (not exports in to avi or asf) with DViewCam 3.11, it does include the player in the set. This results in a stand-alone high-quality data-set, including player. The Playback.exe has some good features (along with some less appealing ones), like video-enhancement, after-the-fact export to avi/asf and video-snapshots/freeze-shots...

There are some drawbacks of using DViewCam as your monitoring tool, but for performance-reasons a proprietary storage/format has been chosen. I have not seen any other monitoring-software reach the same throughput and bandwidth, with the functionality offered...

But those are my personal $0.02...

henk

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2017, 07:23:29 AM »

The Playback.exe has some good features (along with some less appealing ones), like video-enhancement, after-the-fact export to avi/asf and video-snapshots/freeze-shots..

Thanks Mackerel,
Although it is 6 years after your answer I would like to thank you for giving an excellent tip about the backup tool.
I think I never read the manual, was unaware of this option  :)
I could give the police a usb stick with player! (and it still works on windows 10)

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2017, 07:29:41 AM »

Hope this information is helpful for future users.

The Playback.exe has some good features (along with some less appealing ones), like video-enhancement, after-the-fact export to avi/asf and video-snapshots/freeze-shots..

Thanks Mackerel,
Although it is 6 years after your answer I would like to thank you for giving an excellent tip about the backup tool.
I could give the police a usb stick with player! (and it still works on windows 10)
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

Mackerel

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2017, 01:14:14 PM »

Hope this information is helpful for future users.

Thanks Mackerel,

You are very welcome. By the way: the .dat files are stongly related to avi-format files (noticeable when exporting to straight .avi from the Playback tool), but the backup-sets will have only little overhead from the full stand-alone Playback set included.

Geriacen

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2018, 11:49:47 PM »

Sorry for the late post. You can convert dat to mp4 or other universal formats with third-party converter. Handbrake is useful but I don't know whether it supports dat files or not.

thiirane

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2019, 10:56:07 AM »

HD Video Converter Factory Pro works too  https://www.videoconverterfactory.com/free-hd-video-converter/