• April 24, 2024, 02:56:16 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Streaming Media stutters  (Read 7776 times)

carnagerover

Streaming Media stutters
« on: August 20, 2008, 12:23:24 PM »

Hi all,

I recently bought the DWA-643 but i am having trouble streaming some HD material, i have checked on Netmeter and my files generally need between 2-3MB\s to stream, when i skip ahead in the film timeline it will go up to 5MB\s for around a second and then go back to 2-3MB\s, although it can go down to less than 1MB\s at certain points in the movie.

When i transfer a file from my PC downstairs to this one i get 7-8MB\s, it is a steady stream and will continue till the file transfer has completed.

This leaves me confused as to why my movies stutter when there seems to be plenty of bandwidth available, i have tried using different channels 1,6,11 i have also changed from 20mhz to auto 20/40mhz. As well as using N only mode, none of them make the movies stream without stuttering here and there.

The only thing that i have noticed is that when i stream a HD video the green connection bars on the taskbar start to fluctuate, sometimes down to 1 bar, sometimes it will go red for a second, it must be at these times that it begins to stutter.

This is my first Expresscard, or first N adapter anyway and i was expecting that it would be able to stream these files expecially when i can transfer files between 7-8MB/s/

Any help on this would be ideal, is it the adapter or just the limits of 802.11n

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
Re: Streaming Media stutters
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 12:55:10 PM »

What driver version are you running?

carnagerover

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 01:03:31 PM »

Hi,

1.21 is the driver i am currently using.

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2008, 02:16:14 PM »

Update the driver.
Uninstall the older version before installing the newer one.

carnagerover

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008, 03:00:48 PM »

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, I totally thought that i had the latest driver on there. It is on there now, i am currently trying it out.

Is it better to have the wireless set to Auto or to actually select a channel ?

Also when streaming media why does the signal then drop down on the bars, even go red, whereas internet browsing stays up at 4 bars continually.