• March 28, 2024, 04:35:53 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Slow speeds on WIRED internet connection  (Read 10024 times)

heldmacm

• Level 1 Member
Slow speeds on WIRED internet connection
« on: March 08, 2009, 01:50:09 PM »

Hello,

I have some problems using my WBR-2310 (hardware revision A1 with firmware 1.05) router to share my internet connection between a my desktop (wired) and laptop (wireless) computers.  The issue is that the wired/desktop PC, running Win XP SP3, has noticeable lags using internet applications that do not occur when the same PC is connected directly to my cable modem.  In particular, playing Euchre online using Yahoo's site, the game consistently freezes ~8-10 times per game for me with each "lag" lasting up to 12-15 seconds.  This does not happen playing at the same site, on the same PC when I'm connected without going through the router.  At first I thought it might be an issue with the site I was playing at, but after regularly getting "yelled" at for playing slowly and seeing it happen every time I play when connected through the router, it's convinced me that there is some sort of performance related issue using the wired connection.

I only use my laptop/wireless connection for work-related activities, so I can't confirm if this problem also applies to that PC/connection, but I found it odd that the PC that is hard-wired to the router would suffer any performance loss.  Any help on this would greatly be appreciated...thank you.

arod

Re: Slow speeds on WIRED internet connection
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 09:05:36 AM »

try entering in your own DNS addresses like 4.2.2.2 and 4.2.2.3 and disable DNS relay.. Save settings then release renew your PC's IP address.

heldmacm

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 10:03:50 AM »

I disabled DNS relay without any success.  When you say to enter my own DNS address, in which section are you referring to?  Thanks for your help...

arod

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 11:05:54 AM »

Log into the router and go to SETUP > INTERNET > Manual Configure Down at the bottom of the page should be 2 fields where you can enter in DNS addresses

heldmacm

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 11:13:51 AM »

Got it - I entered in both of those settings, disabled DNS relay, released and renewed DHCP and I'll see if that makes any difference.  Thanks again.

Log into the router and go to SETUP > INTERNET > Manual Configure Down at the bottom of the page should be 2 fields where you can enter in DNS addresses

heldmacm

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2009, 07:47:22 AM »

The above suggestion unfortunately did not work - I have the same problems with this configuration.

try entering in your own DNS addresses like 4.2.2.2 and 4.2.2.3 and disable DNS relay.. Save settings then release renew your PC's IP address.

arod

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2009, 08:38:57 AM »

Who is your service provider? Try locking your WAN port speed to a specific setting rather than have it set to auto. See which one makes a difference is performance. Located in ADVANCED > ADVANCED Network section.

heldmacm

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2009, 02:45:12 PM »

It's Time Warner/Road Runner.

Who is your service provider? Try locking your WAN port speed to a specific setting rather than have it set to auto. See which one makes a difference is performance. Located in ADVANCED > ADVANCED Network section.

arod

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2009, 11:28:02 AM »

Have you tried to lock the WAN port speed?

heldmacm

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2009, 02:13:05 PM »

I have it locked right now; so far, so good, but it's probably too soon to definitively say it's fixed.

heldmacm

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2009, 03:49:27 PM »

10Mbps resulted in the same problem; setting it to 100Mbps did not allow my internet connection to work at all (which is strange because when I set it back to Auto, Win XP reports the connection speed at 100.0 Mbps.

heldmacm

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2009, 09:23:12 AM »

Any other ideas of things I can try?