• April 24, 2024, 05:28:02 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Access NAS without requiring a username.  (Read 1997 times)

nIMrOD888

• Level 1 Member
Access NAS without requiring a username.
« on: March 05, 2015, 12:02:09 AM »

Hi guys,

I want to setup my DNS 323 (V1.08 revB) so that I can have a few folders that anyone can access but not modify (this is a home network), and another folder for sharing (or adding their own files that I will later move to the correct locations).

For example:

Pictures: Read Only
Documents: Read Only
Videos: Read Only
Programs: Read Only

Shared: Read/Write

By default the DNS 323 has full read write access to everything on the drive without needing a username and password, however as soon as you add a user it will prompt you for a username and password (which I do not want) and even if you delete the user the only way to get rid of the prompt is to reset the damn thing back to factory defaults.

The only way I can sort of use this device the way I want to so far is to create a read write permission for a shared folder and load all my files to it, then briefly modify the security for read write where I want to move those files (and then turn it off again).

This type of file share would take about 3 seconds to setup in windows, but seems impossible on this device... does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 12:09:38 AM by nIMrOD888 »

JavaLawyer

• Poweruser
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
Re: Access NAS without requiring a username.
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 06:54:41 AM »

Instantiating any access permission control/restriction will require credentials to manage. That's the nature of using users and groups. READ ONLY access cannot be enabled without going down this road. . . Unless someone can provide some back-end / alternative solution that I'm not privy to.
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC