• March 28, 2024, 01:37:54 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DCS-942L Cameras disconnect after about 4 weeks  (Read 3865 times)

Rogerz

• Level 1 Member
DCS-942L Cameras disconnect after about 4 weeks
« on: August 07, 2018, 05:53:49 PM »

I have 6 DCS-942L and 2 DCS-930L cameras in my home.  They are all connected via an Xfinity wireless gateway.  I find that about once a month the 942s disconnect and must be power cycled to come back online.  The 930s run for months or years with no intervention except for occasionally updating firmware when instructed to do so.  All of the units are up to date on firmware per the mydlink app.

Does anyone know why this happens and more importantly if there is anything I can do to stop it from happening?  I was away from home last week and forgot to power boot the 942s and they all took themselves off line the first day I was gone.

Thanks!

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
Re: DCS-942L Cameras disconnect after about 4 weeks
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2018, 07:36:11 PM »

Link>Welcome!

• What region are you located?

What Mfr and model is the main host router?
What wireless modes are you using?

Can you try connecting only 2 or 3 of the 942s and maybe 1 or two of the 930s? Possible that you maybe encountering a bandwidth issue with your main host router and it could be maxing out on bandwidth with all these cameras connected and along with any other devices you have connected as well. Try using just a few cameras and see if the problem still happens.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

Rogerz

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2018, 09:56:47 AM »

Link>Welcome!

• What region are you located?

What Mfr and model is the main host router?
What wireless modes are you using?

Can you try connecting only 2 or 3 of the 942s and maybe 1 or two of the 930s? Possible that you maybe encountering a bandwidth issue with your main host router and it could be maxing out on bandwidth with all these cameras connected and along with any other devices you have connected as well. Try using just a few cameras and see if the problem still happens.

Thank you for the suggestion.

I am located in the US.  I have a Comcast/Xfinity suppled wireless router.  It is an Arris Group TG1682G telephony/internet unit.  It is using 802.11n and capable of transmitting on both 2.4 and 5.  I am unable to disconnect any of my cameras at this time since I will be in and out of town and would like to have them all active when I am away.  Do the 930s require less bandwidth?  They are never disconnected while the 942 are the units always disconnected after ~4 weeks.

Thanks!

GreenBay42

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2018, 12:11:30 PM »

What settings are enabled on the cameras? Motion/sound detection? Email and/or FTP notifications? Recording to SD card?

Do they all go off about the same time?

Do they seem to be running hot? Are any in a window sill?

I've noticed with some cameras when there are a lot of settings enabled they can get bogged down and need a reboot. My 930 hasn't been rebooted in years but my 960 for example seems to need a reboot once every week or 2.

You could try some kind of smartplug and set a timer to turn off/on like once a week to see if that helps. I wish there was a reboot option in the app or UI like our routers.   

Rogerz

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2018, 01:28:28 PM »

What settings are enabled on the cameras? Motion/sound detection? Email and/or FTP notifications? Recording to SD card?

Do they all go off about the same time?

Do they seem to be running hot? Are any in a window sill?

I've noticed with some cameras when there are a lot of settings enabled they can get bogged down and need a reboot. My 930 hasn't been rebooted in years but my 960 for example seems to need a reboot once every week or 2.

You could try some kind of smartplug and set a timer to turn off/on like once a week to see if that helps. I wish there was a reboot option in the app or UI like our routers.

Sound detection is enabled on all the 942s (not an option on the 930s). Motion detection is not enabled so email/FTP is not enabled & not recording. 

The 942s go off line within 12 to 24 hours of each other.  I have not noticed the cameras being warmer than normal.  The only camera in a window sill is one of the 930s.  It has not been rebooted since the last power failure a year or two ago.

A reboot function on the app would be wonderful.  I’m not going to buy a smart plug to fix this.  I would rather put the money toward upgrading to a better brand of camera.