• March 28, 2024, 07:58:21 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: FTP helper  (Read 4189 times)

samob

• Level 1 Member
FTP helper
« on: July 14, 2009, 01:22:01 AM »

Hi all!

On work, some of my colleagues are working with some "custom made" software that uses builtin FTP client to transfer files. It has no option to configure it to passive mode. The firewall that we used was computer with PFsense.org installed on it but now we decided to swap this computer with neat DFL 210. I have sucessfully reconfigured all rules, only problem i have is with these old FTP clients.
On PFsense i havent had any rule related to outbound FTP connections and all colleagues were able to use FTP without problems. But on 210, the FTP session timeouts after a while. I belive old PFsense has some ftp proxy aplication that does the magic - it is referred as "FTP helper", and if i disable it i loose working ftp connection. My question is if something simmilar to "FTP helper" is existing on DFL 210 or how to approach to this problem.

Best regards!

Samo

Fatman

• Level 9 Member
Re: FTP helper
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 08:41:08 AM »

We don't have anything like an FTP helper.  Your goal here is to categorize the failed traffic and write rules to allow it.  While you are at it the FTP ALG may be either weal or woe for you.
non progredi est regredi