• April 19, 2024, 04:45:54 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Driver Upgrade leads to lost functionality of DLink Connection Manager  (Read 8953 times)

rmurry9

This new card combined with the DIR-655 provides extraordinary performance.  The connection speed is better than wired 100K Ethernet.  However, I upgraded my driver for the DWA-643 using the software/drivers from DLink support.  I also use the Network Magic application and have been since version 2.0 came out.  After updating the drivers, I lost my DLink wireless manager functionality. :o  It still loads, shows the bars, but also does NOT indicate a connection speed, although I'm connected. ???  Network Magic is used to control the connection.  I can see the strength of the connection by looking at the DIR-655 router's status indication.  It is 300MBps when I'm near the router and drops to about the same speed as I had before with the integrated 802.11g in the laptop when I'm at the far end of the house.  ???  This is not what I was promised by the sales literature.  (6x Range, 14x speed)

My question: How can I re-establish the DLink connection manager and see the speed and %Signal strength on my laptop? ???
Thanks in advance for your reponse.

kdm

• Level 1 Member
Re: Driver Upgrade leads to lost functionality of DLink Connection Manager
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 10:49:02 PM »

It is 300MBps when I'm near the router and drops to about the same speed as I had before with the integrated 802.11g in the laptop when I'm at the far end of the house.  ???  This is not what I was promised by the sales literature.  (6x Range, 14x speed)

See my post in the thread about Notebook will not shut down, I think the range is better with the built in cards because the antennas are better.

jamesmartin0226@comcast.n

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 10:27:43 PM »

MY DWA-643 does the same thing with my HPDV6000Z Notebook. keeps it from shuting down. You will find out that both the router and the network card use Atheros Chipset. With Vista Windows Update will download drivers for the wireless card too.

kdm

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2008, 02:10:21 PM »

That's interesting, another instance of DWA-643 and Vista preventing a notebook computer from shutting down.  That makes 4 I have read about on the internet plus one notebook running XP doing the same thing.  I imagine there are a lot of instances that I haven't read about so it seems to be a common problem.

jamesmartin0226@comcast.n

MY Card will only part of the time. On mine it will not see the DWA-643 some times producing code 31 in the device manager.
The first time I Used WPS it crashed my laptop.After that time while it was working with the 1.21 drivers WPS and wifi worked,now it will not even see the card on my DV6000Z. :'(