• March 28, 2024, 04:55:09 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: WOL thru DIR-130  (Read 8436 times)

sstarre

• Level 1 Member
WOL thru DIR-130
« on: November 20, 2008, 07:39:52 AM »

I have a DIR-130. I want to use Wake-On_LAN (WOL) to wake up my home computer(s) via the internet.

My previous configuration was a DI-808HV and this worked just fine. I would use a "magic packet" utility to send a wake up packet that contained the MAC address for the desired network card to my home IP address on a specific port (i.e. "www.mydomain.com:myport" ). The 808HV was configured to forward that port #  to a broadcast, such as 172.16.200.255. Because the forwarding address ended in 255, the router broadcast to the entire network and the network card that recognizes it's MAC would then turn the machine on. whew!

Anyway, with the DIR-130, it will not allow a "255" in the forwarding address - it requires a number between 1 and 254 in the last octet.
Is there a way to broadcast thru the DIR-130 ??
Any Ideas?

Steve

joshua.davis

Re: WOL thru DIR-130
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 04:00:48 PM »

Well unfortunately Steve the only way to do the WOL this way is to manually input the actual IP address of the system that you want to forward the port to. So if you have one computer it shouldn't be a problem just set a static IP address on that system and put that IP address in the port forwarding rules.

Most of the older versions of our firmware we had the availability to do as you had explained. With the new versions of firmware it now requires the actual IP address of the device.

Fatman

• Level 9 Member
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 08:00:57 AM »

No, there is not.  In order to even forward it to an IP you would require that that PC is in the ARP table for this product at the time if I am not mistaken.  This would functionally limit you to only turning on a computer via WOL remotely until the ARP entry for that PC ages out.

A less insecure option however would be to have some sort of a WOL forwarding machine set up.  Allowing remote users access to broadcast on your network is probably a bad idea.
non progredi est regredi

sstarre

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 08:31:46 AM »

That's what I thought too. The IP for the target would not exist as far as the router is concerned, so forwarding to a non-existent IP has no effect.
Actually, I am doing something similar to your suggestion - I have a machine in the basement that is allways on, and I remote desktop into that and send the WOL from that machine to IP 255.255.255.255..That works to WOL either my desktop or my son's. But if that machine goes down or hangs, I'm stuck. :'(
Thanks for the info, tho...
Steve