• April 19, 2024, 01:59:21 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: So, what kinds of FTP download speeds are you getting?  (Read 6313 times)

jinjernuts

• Level 1 Member
So, what kinds of FTP download speeds are you getting?
« on: May 05, 2010, 03:49:32 AM »

Set mine up purely as a test while they plug the gaps in the encryption over FTP transfer.

I know the read and write speeds on the device are not as fast as some of the more expensive devices.

When testing the FTP download remotely from my brother in laws house, we saw just 60kbps speed. Although it was a consistent 60kbps.

There was no traffic on my network as such, PC off, no BT's on the go.
Same at his end.

Was just expecting a little better is all.

Whats your experience?

Cheers, Jin.  :)
D-Link DNS-323 h/w rev C1,
Netgear RangeMax 240,
WDTV V1,
PS3,
Vista HP, Quadcore 8200, 4gb, ATI4850,
Virgin 10mb Broadband

fordem

• Level 10 Member
Re: So, what kinds of FTP download speeds are you getting?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 07:41:27 AM »

I would suggest that any sort of speed testing of the DNS-323's capabalities be done over a local connection - it can deliver significantly greater than 60kbps over ftp (I've done double that remotely), which suggests that the limit may well be the upload speed of your internet connection.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

jinjernuts

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 07:18:36 AM »

I would suggest that any sort of speed testing of the DNS-323's capabalities be done over a local connection - it can deliver significantly greater than 60kbps over ftp (I've done double that remotely), which suggests that the limit may well be the upload speed of your internet connection.

thanks for the update, my up-speed shows as a solid 500kbs+ on a broadband speed checker.

i'm also checking with a friends machine tonight, who is using a different provider to my b.i.l. - just to eliminate problems from his end rather than mine.

not using FTP routinely just yet, but would be nice to have the option of pulling a few hundred MB of files off the NAS, should the need arise ~~without having to drive home to get it ;)
D-Link DNS-323 h/w rev C1,
Netgear RangeMax 240,
WDTV V1,
PS3,
Vista HP, Quadcore 8200, 4gb, ATI4850,
Virgin 10mb Broadband

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 10:53:03 AM »

I just transferred 186mbytes in 5mbyte files in about 20 seconds using FileZilla from the DNS-323.  No jumbo frames, but using gigabit connections.  Considerably more than 60KB a second. :)
Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Remember: Data you don't have two copies of is data you don't care about!
PS: RAID of any level is NOT a second copy.

Buhric

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 03:38:40 AM »

Just to be sure....

your ISP says 500kbps --> that 500 kilo bits per second.
your 60, are you sure its kbps ? or was it KB/s --> in other works, Kilo Bytes per second...

small b = bit
big B = Bytes = 8 bits

ISP give there speed in bits per second...
file transfers program usualy show Bytes per second...

bripab007

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2010, 08:13:51 AM »

Just to be sure....

your ISP says 500kbps --> that 500 kilo bits per second.
your 60, are you sure its kbps ? or was it KB/s --> in other works, Kilo Bytes per second...

small b = bit
big B = Bytes = 8 bits

ISP give there speed in bits per second...
file transfers program usualy show Bytes per second...

+1

I've seen a lot of folks on this board upset with file transfer speeds on the DNS-323 due to either a) confusion between kbps & KB/s (or mbps & MB/s) or b) not understanding what their true upstream bandwidth is from their ISP (many ISPs nowadays advertise a "powerboost" or temporary boost in downstream and/or upstream bandwidth for the first minute or first 10MB of a transfer, making it seem like your connection is faster than it really is over sustained periods).

nightshocker

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2010, 07:34:58 PM »

Set mine up purely as a test while they plug the gaps in the encryption over FTP transfer.

I know the read and write speeds on the device are not as fast as some of the more expensive devices.

When testing the FTP download remotely from my brother in laws house, we saw just 60kbps speed. Although it was a consistent 60kbps.

There was no traffic on my network as such, PC off, no BT's on the go.
Same at his end.

Was just expecting a little better is all.

Whats your experience?

Cheers, Jin.  :)

yep check your internet service provider(ISP). my max upload speed is 80KB/s (640Kb/s) and my max download is 540KB/s (4320Kb/s) or so. i pay for a "up to" 5 meg service.

buy locally on my network i get speeds of 18MB/s. gigabit network card in the computer and dns-323 of course is gigabit, BUT only using a CAT5e cable... the problem is that the dns-323 is under powered to achieve greater speeds.

if im wrong then does dlink want to reply?

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2010, 05:24:34 AM »

BUT only using a CAT5e cable...
CAT5e if fully specified for gigabit, so I'm not sure what you were implying here.  ???

nightshocker

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2010, 12:07:05 PM »

i was saying that as sarcasm.  "but only" i guess i should have made it all caps and in red or something.

gigabit switch, gigabit nic, gigabit nas... and cat5e... so why im i only getting a max of 21MB/s? i should be getting higher right? i think it is because the nas is under powered.

ya and 60Kb/s is 7.5KB/s which is near dail-up speeds. is your bro-in-law on dail-up?

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2010, 12:09:16 PM »

Clearly, it's the NAS.  I have the DNS-323 and the Synology DS209, the Synology clocks in at more than three times the speed of the DNS-323.

nightshocker

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2010, 12:19:59 PM »

ya that is what i thought. o well. when i get the cash im buying a better nas but for now im stuck with 21meg read and 16 megs write.