• March 28, 2024, 02:01:14 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Are the Hard Drives Interchangeable?  (Read 3552 times)

thecreator

• Level 6 Member
Are the Hard Drives Interchangeable?
« on: April 14, 2015, 07:38:49 PM »

Hi All,

Are the Hard Drives formatted by the DNS-323 Unit, interchangeable? Meaning can I remove the Hard Drives from this unit and put them into the DNS-320L ShareCenter® 2-Bay Cloud Storage without losing information or files?

Problem: The DNS-323 Storage Central Unit works, but its outside Power Button lost its ability to turn on the unit. Need to remove the face plate and push in the button manually.
thecreator - Running a Verizon FIOS / Fios-G1100 Router into a D-Link DIR-859 Router Rev. A3, Firmware 1.03 and a D-Link DWA-552 Wireless Network PCI Adapter Card. OP Sys: Win 10 Pro - DNS-323 with Firmware 1.10

ivan

• Level 8 Member
Re: Are the Hard Drives Interchangeable?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2015, 02:27:39 PM »

The short answer to the first question is no.  The long answer is you could try but be sure you have a proven backup before you do.

Since the actual power switch on your DNS-323 works what is stopping you removing the outer button cover and using something like a match stick to push the power switch?  Simple and saves money and headaches.

thecreator

• Level 6 Member
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2015, 08:18:36 PM »

Hi Ivan,

I never look at the switch, to see how it worked, until it broke. Are replacement Face plates available to purchase?
thecreator - Running a Verizon FIOS / Fios-G1100 Router into a D-Link DIR-859 Router Rev. A3, Firmware 1.03 and a D-Link DWA-552 Wireless Network PCI Adapter Card. OP Sys: Win 10 Pro - DNS-323 with Firmware 1.10

ivan

• Level 8 Member
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2015, 02:37:54 AM »

Hi,

Since the DNS-323 has been out of production for several years now I very much doubt that you would find a faceplate for sale.  As far as I know - we tried - they were never available from D-Link as a separate item, we did get one replaced when we returned a unit for service under warranty though.

As you have found the actual switch is a small push button unit mounted on the main board to the right of the centre double LED block.  The large square button on the face plate should have a small tab under the light pipe that makes contact with the push button switch.  A little bit of ingenuity and some super glue should get it up and working again.

JavaLawyer

• Poweruser
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2015, 07:16:21 AM »

Another option is to purchase a dead DNS-323 for sale and salvage it for parts. You can find DNS-323s on ebay.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 07:19:49 AM by JavaLawyer »
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC