• April 15, 2024, 09:48:05 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: SOLVED: D-Link utility causes Windows 7 BSOD  (Read 14159 times)

FayeC

• Level 1 Member
SOLVED: D-Link utility causes Windows 7 BSOD
« on: December 18, 2009, 03:17:31 AM »

I have returned my DWA-130 RevA1 to Dell and got a RevC1 locally. Installed the utility, got the connection via the WPS setup and all was well until I started getting all these Blue Screen of Death.
I had read here somewhere that the D-Link utility was the cause so I removed the utility and now there is no connection and the adapter is not identified by Windows 7.
Can anybody point me to instructions on how I can get this fixed?

Thanks,

FayeC
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 05:59:44 AM by FayeC »

bones.25

• Level 1 Member
Re: D-Link utility causes Windows 7 BSOD
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009, 08:12:39 PM »

I have windows 7, 32 bit with a dwa-130 rev. A attached.  I did not install the drivers from the dlink website but attached the adapter to my computer and windows asked me if I wanted to go online and automatically search for the driver, I checked ok and it downloaded and installed the drivers and it worked.  I then went into the config tab for the adapter and unchecked allow computer to turn off this device.  This should get it working but it's not perfect, after a couple days it shuts down and windows tells me that it detected an error from this device but after I restart my computer it works fine again.

Also if windows for some reason isn't auto installing the driver when you plug it in you can do what others in this forum have advised.  Install the driver utility from the website but do not attached the adapter.  Do a search for the following files after the install is done (go into windows explorer select the windows folder in the folders pane and use the search box in the upper right hand corner) "mrvw24b.cat", "mrvw24b.sys", "netmw24b.inf". make a copy of these files and save them in a folder called dwa-130 and save to \\windows\system32\drivers.  Then go to control panel, programs & features and uninstall the dlink utility you just installed.  Restart your pc then plug in the adapter and when windows asks you for the location of the driver navigate to the dwa-130 folder you saved the driver files to and windows should be able to finish installing it from there.  The nice thing is you will be able to use windows wireless network manager which I think blows away the dlink's kludge 1990ish utility.

Good luck, let me know if it works for you.

FayeC

• Level 1 Member
Re: D-Link utility causes Windows 7 BSOD
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2009, 05:58:48 AM »

My Windows 7 is 64 bit. Maybe that is the difference. I found other posts about the same issue.
With revision C1 I had to uninstall the utility, downloaded the latest revision C1 driver, unpacked and added the device manually pointing to the folder with the newest driver downloaded from the d-link site.
That installed the driver without the utility and now it works again.

Just as an addition to those having the same issue: if you get the BSOD every time you restart, choose safe mode without networking in order to be able to remove the d-link utility. You will need to have internet access through other means in order to download the latest driver package and a way to transfer that to the computer on which you are trying to install the adapter.
Once you remove the utility you can restart windows normally and then proceed with a manual install of the new device if your windows won't detect the new device like it did with mine.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 06:04:32 AM by FayeC »

genesis

• Level 2 Member
Re: SOLVED: D-Link utility causes Windows 7 BSOD
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 11:50:16 AM »

I will agree, that utility was a pain, causing crashes or errors in windows XP. I have revision A1 and B1, and everything is fine since I disable the dlink software. I could not uninstall it for the A1, but choose to have windows taking care of the network (so in effect, it disable that dlink software). For the revision B1, you can install the drivers without the dlink software (not from the disc, but the latest available package just had the drivers, not dumb software with it).

emaycen

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2009, 06:40:08 AM »

I purchased a DWA 130 Rev E1  works great with Windows 7 no extra set up steps.  My wife has a DWA 130 recC and it won't work with my Windows 7.

Get revE1

mrrod

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2010, 08:07:34 PM »

If we have rev C1 can it be upgraded to E1 like firmware or do we have to buy the E!?