• April 16, 2024, 01:32:47 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: is 1.04 firmware official or beta still  (Read 6077 times)

chuckv

• Level 2 Member
is 1.04 firmware official or beta still
« on: March 27, 2008, 04:52:49 PM »

just curious on the status of this?

fordem

• Level 10 Member
Re: is 1.04 firmware official or beta still
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008, 06:09:41 AM »

It might depend on where you're located - 1.04 is available as official firmware on the North American (US & Canada) download pages.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

Banshee1971

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2008, 08:09:15 AM »

The question was funny, because the file are not a BETA version, but result seen on the forum seem to indicate the "beta" suggestion...

Like in Startrek, a Vulkan will said "After seen the result, logic dictate this version are a Alpha release, or at least, a Beta release".

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2008, 04:25:58 PM »

I see nothing "funny" about the question - neither amusing, nor peculiar.

Over the last few months there were several different versions of the 1.04 firmware floating around the internet, some of which were available from different D-Link support sites at different times, and as such I would consider them to have been officially sanctioned - personally I downloaded at least three different versions, the last of which was identical to the version currently available as 1.04 on the North American support page.

Of note - the file names showed a pattern of 1.04bnn where nn was a two digit number that varied, with each later version showing a higher number - since the final version is called 1.04, I think it is safe to assume the earlier versions were "pre-release" versions, sometimes known as beta versions.

chuckv

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2008, 04:20:56 PM »

It might depend on where you're located - 1.04 is available as official firmware on the North American (US & Canada) download pages.

well, this means that my 323 is no longer in warrenty due to the fact im using a US based firmware which does not come from Australia. i raised this question some time ago about using firmware other than from the country of whihc you purchased the device and this means i am screwed when it comes to support.

DLINK ... will my AU branded 323 still be under support with a 1.04 firmware from the states?

chuckv

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2008, 04:24:02 PM »

well, this means that my 323 is no longer in warranty due to the fact I'm using a US based firmware which does not come from Australia. i raised this question some time ago about using firmware other than from the country of which you purchased the device and this means i am screwed when it comes to support.

DLINK ... will my AU branded 323 still be under support with a 1.04 firmware from the states?

based on fordem's reply, it seems that with the additional nn's at the end of the firmware of 1.04, this would seem that the original was beta (the one i am using which was released in this forum). this also seems to mean that all firmwares are still in beta form though they have been released. again, this seems to insinuate that support would be dead in respect to almost all 323's that have this firmware (regardless of its nn number) as support does not support beta firmware

DLINK, can you please respond?

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2008, 06:43:28 PM »

based on fordem's reply, it seems that with the additional nn's at the end of the firmware of 1.04, this would seem that the original was beta (the one i am using which was released in this forum). this also seems to mean that all firmwares are still in beta form though they have been released. again, this seems to insinuate that support would be dead in respect to almost all 323's that have this firmware (regardless of its nn number) as support does not support beta firmware

DLINK, can you please respond?

First - I have no recollection of any firmware, beta or otherwise being released in this forum, and a quick search did not turn up anything.

Second - you seem to be confused about beta code - a beta version of a piece of code (software or fimware) is generally considered a pre-release version of that code, made available specifically for testing purposes, and usually to a select group of testers (it is, by the way, common practise to have that test group sign non-disclosure greements that forbid unauthorized release of the beta code).  There may be several beta releases or builds incorporating fixes for bugs discovered by the beta test group, and at some point, when the manufacturer feels that sufficient testing has been done, the latest beta version will be deemed an official release, at which point it will no longer be considered a beta release - the difference between beta and the official version is nothing more than the manufacturer's say so - and once it is has been deemed official, then it is no longer beta, even if it remains unchanged.

All officially released code was at some point in it's life a beta release, but once it has been deemed an official release it is no longer beta - however, it needs to be pointed out that in a situation where product is being sold into different countries, with different legal systems an official release in one country may be considered a beta release in another country, as changes may be required to meet the statutory requirements.

Should a member of beta test group discover a problem with beta code, that problem is reported to the manufacturer through specific channels set up for the purpose and specific instructions (or even a new build) will be provided to othe group as a whole - it is not that support is not available for beta code, but rather that beta code is not intended for public usage, and should that code be leaked, so to speak, into the wild, users other than official testers have no access to the support.

I think you'll find it stated in this forum that it is a US forum - if you want to know what D-Link Australia's position on the use of code not released for Australia, you're unlikey to find answers here - you'll need to contact D-Link Australia.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2008, 04:07:06 PM »

Firmware located on our D-Link support website is official firmware.
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream