• April 16, 2024, 12:57:48 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Firmware Upgrade question  (Read 4345 times)

rickm1350

• Level 2 Member
Firmware Upgrade question
« on: June 29, 2009, 10:29:06 AM »

I have a new (2 week old) DIR-825.  When I connected it and got it setup, this thing has run flawlessly, and is a LOT faster than my old Linksys WRT-350N.  Not only the wireless connections are faster, but the wired are a lot faster also.

Currently, I don't see any need for updating the firmware in the router.   After reading this forum, it appears that the latest 1.11 version is creating a lot of problems for a lot of folks.

So, here's the question, if you upgraded your router to 1.11 version firmware, why did you upgrade?  Were you having some problems?  Did you read the forum here and see all the problems that others were having before you upgraded?  Did you want the latest firmware?  Were you curious and want to see what the 1.11 firmware had to offer? 

I'm just curious

Shoey Peachew

• Level 1 Member
Re: Firmware Upgrade question
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 12:12:35 PM »

for the loVE OF GOD DON'T UPGRADE!

smlunatick

• Level 5 Member
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2009, 01:04:47 PM »

You need to update the firmware ONLY when the "supposed" update fixes a problem you are experiencing with your unit.

Gadget

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 06:55:13 AM »

if you upgraded your router to 1.11 version firmware, why did you upgrade? 

I guess there's no simple way to follow the sequence of events on the forum so let me try to sum up.

V 1.01 worked fine.  When D-Link initially posted V 1.10 on the update site it didn't say it was a Beta version though it did say the update couldn't be reversed.  There was a lot list of firmware updates that seemed to promise better, faster connections.  Only after quite a few forum members had loaded V1.10 did problem reports begin appearing and then "Beta" was added to the download site description. 

An apparent D-Link employee came along and, without acknowledging there were issues with V 1.10 began pointing forum members to a new V 1.11.  Initially it was only available on a 'secret' company site so that's pretty cool right?  Again it seemed like a good idea (at least to most who'd updated to 1.10) so there were more downloads.  The installations outpaced the problem reports initially but once users started posting their results many forum members put on the brakes and now await the next latest greatest version that, hopefully, addresses the problems reported in 1.10 and 1.11.

So, why did members update the firmware?  Because they could and because most hoped the device would be made better.  Anyone who moved to 1.11 after seeing the warnings either didn't care or hoped their experience would be different.  In most cases, it seems, it wasn't.  For the most part, they're the ones that are now posting, months after the 1.11 release and problem posts, complaining.  Just stick to what you've got if you're happy with it and when a new firmware version 'does' come out, hide and watch awhile.

Cheers

Shoey Peachew

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2009, 02:34:13 PM »

Believe me when I say I can't wait until I don't have to keep checking back on this forum for any news on a fix or update. It's not that these forums aren't exciting or anything, but errr uhhh, actually these forums aren't exciting.

Anyway, I upgraded to fix some port forwarding issues, but it constantly crashes. I reverted back to 1.10 beta and it's a lot better, but even it has clonked out a couple times on some heavy downloading. Although, I think the worst part about 1.11 were my VOIP calls in Skype sometimes sounded like a warbly mess. Reverting back to 1.10b makes my calls sound crystal clear again.

tastysheriff

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2009, 05:07:58 PM »

I was having general wireless slowness, and I was hoping the firmware would offer better performance. More importantly, I got used to the 'Apple' software upgrade model, where you assume the update is better, without knowing what's in it.

I got the firmware off of what must be the preferred source, through D-Link's support page. I didn't investigate at all beforehand. This wasn't any forum crawling or inside info. This is officially released firmware (which is still there by the way.)

chedlin

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2009, 08:43:43 AM »

This is a firewall.  Unfortunately bugs are found and upgrading firmware could be VERY important for security issues, not just fixing visible problems.