• April 16, 2024, 03:32:26 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: "Unable to open file" hell......  (Read 5397 times)

rolltide78

"Unable to open file" hell......
« on: January 13, 2009, 06:28:35 AM »

Ever since I bought this device last year I've had problem after problem with it.  When I try to stream really anything from my home PC across a wired network I get the "Unable to open file" error.  Whether its a divx video, mpg, or whatever I seem to get problems.  I have PlayOn installed on my PC and whether its Hulu or Netflix programs I can never get things to work smoothly through the 520.   I can start video from Hulu but it'll end up choppy shortly after it starts and the Netflix movies do not begin at all.  All of this same content runs fine from my Xbox 360.  Can you please help me?

Thanks,
Gary

fccgrant

• Level 2 Member
Re: "Unable to open file" hell......
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 06:59:27 PM »

PlayOn is considered an unsupported device.  I've had mixed results with Hulu running on my DSM-520 using PlayOn.  (I kind of miss it running on Active TV app that was also created by the PlayOn developers which was supported for awhile.)

Are you currently using firmware version 1.06?

Which app are you using to serve your media from your PC?

What is the processor speed of your PC?  You'll need plenty of hard drive space for transcoding of Hulu.

rolltide78

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 05:11:57 AM »

Hey bud.  Thanks for the reply.  I enjoyed Active TV too but unfortunately that was always laggy.  The PC I'm running Tversity and Playon from is a 2.4 ghz machine with about a gig of ram.  I had some success last night streaming divx movies and such from Tversity to the 520 but Netflix and Hulu I could get a few seconds of playback and then it would stall, then a few more seconds, etc.  That seems to be the common problem with the 520 since I purchased it. 

It looks like they aren't even really supporting it anymore since the last firmware was last May.  I'm on 1.06. 

Gary

fccgrant

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 07:38:30 PM »

I think the play/stall/play issue stems from the 520 playing the content faster than the PC is able to receive, transcode and stream from the internet connection.  I've been able to reduce this problem with Hulu by pausing the 520 for a minute and then resuming playback.  I don't use Netflix so I don't know if the pause technique would help. 

I'm on a 3 mbps connection with a 1.8 Ghz P4. 

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2009, 10:12:49 AM »

Are you connected wirelessly on your network between these devices the DSM-520 and/or your PC?
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream