• April 15, 2024, 09:29:56 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Motion Detection triggered all night long?  (Read 4352 times)

JonR77

• Level 1 Member
Motion Detection triggered all night long?
« on: February 15, 2016, 08:44:41 AM »

I just set up the motion detection on my three 2330L cameras.  I set the motion zones on each camera, and kept the 85% sensitivity default for them.  I then set up an event to record video to the SD cards when motion is detected.

I set this up in the afternoon, and thoroughly tested each camera to make sure it was capturing motion correctly.

The rest of the day, it was working great, capturing video when the dog was let outside, and triggering no false motions.

I woke up the next morning however, to find that it had recorded about 600 videos per HOUR overnight!  Unfortunately I had my email notifications turned on so you can imagine the volume of emails waiting for me in my inbox!

So, the motion detection works nearly perfect during the day, but at night seems to be in a perpetual state of motion!  My workaround at this point was to change the event times from 8am til 6pm, to avoid night.  This isn't my ideal solution as I would want to track motion if anyone is coming up to the house at night!  (kinda the main reason for a survelaince camera right?)

Has anyone else had this same problem?  Is there a setting that will fix all of this for me?  I'm on the latest firmware version 1.12.

I would appreciate any tips or info on how to solve the problem!  Thanks!

smlgerry

• Level 1 Member
Re: Motion Detection triggered all night long?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2016, 10:41:01 AM »

Same type problem on my 2330L. Been troubleshooting for awhile. I noticed it seems like every 10 seconds it records but only at night. Scratching my head now.

RYAT3

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2016, 01:44:40 PM »

So there is absolutely NO CHANGE at night in the video?

My 2330L gets all pixelated at night (1.01 f/w). This would cause videos.. Have you tried "LOW NOISE" option instead of "AUTO" for nighttime?

JonR77

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2016, 03:22:54 PM »

Thanks for the tip.  I see where I can change the exposure from "Auto" to "Low Noise" on the Image Setup page, but how do I tell it to use Auto during the day and Low Noise just at night?  If I use Low Noise during the day the screen is too bright to see anything.  Is there a way to have it automatically use Low Noise just when night time vision is on?

RYAT3

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2016, 05:00:05 PM »

Nope.  I have not seen that feature on any dlink camera :(

At worst, get 2 cameras and leave one in low and the other in auto?

JonR77

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2016, 06:19:43 PM »

Ok, so I was playing around with the settings tonight and found if I change the "denoise" levels from 0 to about 20-30, the motion detector stops running non-stop.  I'm going to set the video to record tonight to see how many motion actions I get with these new denoise levels.  What I don't know is how the new levels will affect the daytime images... I guess I'll find out tomorrow how it looks!   I'll keep you posted...

RYAT3

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2016, 07:08:15 PM »

Denois kind of makes it look blurry..but definitely cleaned up all those crazy pixels.

Are you using Infrared at night also?   Or leaving it in day mode at night?

JonR77

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2016, 06:30:33 PM »

You are right, the denoise settings of even 10 or 20 made the daytime images way too blurry.

My cameras are all set to switch to IR automatically at night.

Tonight I spent some time, refining the motion sensor zones to just the areas where someone would be moving, and I changed the sensitivity from 85% to 75%.  I switched the denoise settings back to zero on each camera.  This seems to be working so far!  No false motions detected yet.  I think the main sections that were triggering false motions at night may have been the sky or other really dark areas.  Using a smaller motion area and reducing the sensitivity to 75% may have done the trick!

I'll check in the morning to see how many events were triggered!  crossing my fingers!

taymag

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2016, 05:47:07 AM »

(haven't read the other posts so someone may have said this)

I don't remember the settings but there are settings (same spot as where you set brightness) that when you tweak it takes the graininess away pretty easy.

Also, even with my sensitivity on 20-30% it still picks up my 90lb dog so you don't need 75-85% sensitivity, it gets annoying with the notifications

benoitmabille

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2016, 01:33:31 PM »

Hello,

Same general issues here :

1) the picture disconnects after a while (couple of hours maybe). The camera itself still responds and I can get the image back by 'reset to defaults' the image settings.

2) the 'noise when dark' triggers the motion detection. Was not an issue on 1.02 FW

Very annoying. A step back for me, I wonder what as IMPROVED with this firmware ???
Anyone found workarounds ?

Cheers

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2016, 02:26:16 PM »

Do a factory reset, manually re-load the FW file. Factory reset again the set up from scratch...
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.